Wednesday, November 14, 2018

HW 11/13: Semicolons Combine Sentences

For HW, please compose three example sentences showing these three GOOD ways to combine sentences (this was on a handout worksheet in class, but you can just write them in your notebook if you don't have the worksheet).  

Here are three GOOD ways to combine two sentences:

     I am a semicolon; I link sentences nicely.   :)

     I am a semicolon and a transitional word or phrase; therefore, I am even fancier than just a semicolon. 

     I am a FANBOYS comma, and I can link sentences too.  

Here' the one BAD way:

     I am a comma splicenobody likes me.  :(


Or, to show it without all the clutter:

               ;   

               ; however,   

               , and     


Need evidence that these ideas will improve your writing?  Recent research suggests that the most effective approach to improving your writing skills might be to focus on combining sentences.

No comments:

Post a Comment